Oh So French
Our chic guide to styling & feeling fabulous in your lingerie.
The demi bra epitomizes French style and sex appeal. Its sensual “half” (demi) cups offer a flattering horizontal neckline with wider-set straps that beautifully reveal a woman’s décolleté. A little less coverage… a little more Oh La La!
Even with its flirty feminine flair, the demi bra is absolutely versatile and wearable. Women are discovering they don’t need the “perfect French silhouette” to embrace a demi.
So whether you’re a petite B cup, a fuller G cup or a loyal T-shirt bra devotee, here are my tips on how to wear and style Le Demi:
The Cups Should Not Runneth Over. When it comes to fitting a demi bra, too small does not equal sexy, nor does it provide you with the proper support and comfort. For the most flattering shape, wear the same size as you would your T-shirt bra.
Calling All Bust Sizes. Full busted women can also embrace the sexy silhouette with the introduction of the demi full bra. Simone Perele’s Revelation Demi Full, with its embroidered sheer tulle, fits up to G cup, as well as the Celeste Demi Full, which seduces with Chantilly lace. The difference? Thicker straps, extra tulle lining in the cups for support, and a smoothing ballet back.
Take the Plunge. Traditional lace demi bras, which have a horizontal neckline, fit best on women with a rounded breast shape (fullness on top). Not full on top, or have uneven breast tissue? Pas de problème. Demi plunge bras, which feature a concealed elastic at the neckline, will hug the curves of every shape.
Think Outside the Lace Bra. If you’re intimidated by an all-over lace demi bra, don’t stop reading just yet. Curve-hugging T-shirt bras have taken on the demi shape with styles like the best-selling Andora 3D Demi and the Delice 3D Demi. Think smooth, airy spacer cups that fit like a dream with the classic open neckline and flattering shape of a demi. Perfection… to a T.
Style it with Confidence. So you’ve purchased a divine lace demi and you’re ready to rock it with confidence… but you come to a standstill when faced with what to wear it with. This sensual bra, with its open décolleté, is perfect under “U” or deep “V” necklines. And contrary to what you may think, the demi bra can absolutely be worn under a T-shirt. Simply look for styles with ultra-soft lace that lays flat, such as the Celeste Demi Plunge.
Enjoy that Oh La La feeling!
In keeping with our Oh So French tradition of starting the year on a confident note, here are this year’s French-approved secrets to feeling good in your skin:
- Make No Apologies. So often, we compulsively apologize for ourselves when we don’t need to. Whether spoken out loud or in thought, this is one habit everyone can kick. Embrace your mistakes, mishaps and imperfections as part of your natural flair, your je-ne-sais-quoi…
- Dress Well. French women are all about quality over quantity, and invest in a few fabulous well-made items that exude style and fit them well. Resist the temptation to buy trendy, “disposable” pieces and instead focus on building a highly selective wardrobe of beautiful pieces you’ll feel radiant in.
- Love Your Lingerie. There is secret power to loving what you wear under it all. The recipe is simple: wear lingerie for yourself, unapologetically, in colors that make you feel beautiful and fabrics that feel divine against your skin. Whether you feel fabulous in a lace demi or a chic T-shirt bra, never feel intimidated or uncomfortable in your lingerie. Au contraire, let it reflect your unique style and sensuality.
- Pamper Yourself…Daily. The French art of “pampering” is all about daily self-maintenance. Make time for yourself each day, not as an indulgence, but as a ritual of self-care. Need inspiration? Delight in a luxurious bath with delicious oils and soaps, a nourishing hair mask, steal a few moments in the sauna or steam room—or simply take the time to appreciate the aroma and flavor of your morning café!
- Wear Something Sexy to Bed. Whether you’re sleeping solo or à deux (as a pair), treat yourself to a new nighttime wardrobe that’s as comfortable as it is sensual. Look for soft fabrics (silk, stretchy cotton), figure-flattering cuts, touches of soft lace and soothing colors. You’ll go to sleep—and wake up—feeling refreshed and pretty.
Take on the day with the French spirit of never forgetting to take time for yourself… because if you feel good, you always own it with confidence.
Need some style inspiration for the biggest soirée of the season? Start building your look with these high impact French-approved looks. THE LOOK: Mysterious & Magnetic You’ll exude a mysterious, confident allure with a show-stopping lingerie piece. THE LINGERIE: The bodysuit is one of those style pieces that has timeless appeal—and yet, can be so fashion-forward. Layer the Simone Perele Look Bodysuit over the Look Push-Up for a chic and sexy effect. Its black embroidery over nude tulle creates a tattoo effect that’s guaranteed to captivate. Now you’re ready to throw on that sheer blouse or perfect blazer effortlessly! THE LOOK: Total Confidence It’s time to call upon your wardrobe secret weapons: chic, silhouette-sculpting shapewear and a must-have strapless bra that stays up all night…. THE LINGERIE: Create that Oh-La-La silhouette with curve-hugging shapewear that’s stylish and—yes—sexy, such as the Simone Perele Top Model Collection. Also, a great strapless bra is the foundation of many beautiful dresses—so look for one that will stay up all night (so you can too). Try the Celeste Plunge Strapless with sizing up to F cup. THE LOOK: Unforgettable New Year’s Eve is the time to reflect back on the year… and be unforgettable. THE LINGERIE: Seduce with graphic prints and sensual fabrics in French Red or another sexy, bold shade. Simone Perele’s Look Demi in Red, with its tattoo-like embroidery and balconette shape, has that come-hither flair that will ignite the night. THE LOOK: Cozy Chic Just because you’re staying in for a quiet night doesn’t mean your lingerie should be sleepy. THE LINGERIE: Sensual and comfortable. Delicious laces are a must, such as the Simone Perele Celeste Triangle Wireless made of all-over Chantilly lace. Or reveal a hint of a beautiful strap under an off-the-shoulder sweater, such as the Simone Perele Amour bras in luxe Navy.
What you never knew about Shapewear
Shapewear is back—and it’s breaking free of generations of clichés without looking back. We couldn’t be more thrilled that the days of giant, unattractive control briefs you were ashamed to be seen in are over.
Whether you’re getting holiday party-ready or dressing for the office, the new generation of shapewear is everything you never thought it could be… and everything you’ll feel fabulous in.
It’s time to let go of old beliefs and make way for the new.
Here are our top 5 myths about shapewear:
MYTH #1: A woman should hide her shapewear from her lover
TRUTH: Leave it to the French to find a way to make shapewear look absolutely chic—and even (gasp) pretty. Look for lace accents, like the zebra lace in Simone Perele’s Top Model collection. Pair your shapewear with a bra that makes you feel beautiful. And when in doubt, go for black. That moment when your lover mistakes your Top Model Body Shaper (below) or Dress Shaper (above) for a seduction piece? Priceless.
MYTH #2: Women should wear their shapewear a size smaller for maximum shaping and slimming
TRUTH: Ever had your shapewear roll up on you? This is the telltale sign that you’re wearing a size too small. Shapewear is designed to shape based on your true size. The result is just as effective—and far more comfortable.
MYTH #3: Wearing shapewear means you’re not comfortable with who you are
TRUTH: Women wear shapewear for the very same reasons they wear a bra: for support, shape and to look and feel great in your clothes. Women who wear shapewear absolutely embrace their curves!
MYTH #4: Shapewear is only for plus-sized women
TRUTH: Here’s a French secret: shapewear is truly great for ALL sizes and figures. Women of all sizes share the same mission of a smooth silhouette and flattering lines that always gives you that extra confidence to feel fabulous in your day.
MYTH #5: A woman must suffer to look svelte… Shapewear is uncomfortable!
TRUTH: All shapewear is not created equally. Look for styles in your correct size with medium control for a second skin feel and true comfort. Why do we love Simone Perele’s Top Model Collection? The zebra lace lays flat against your skin where it finishes, creating smooth, seamless and stylish curves—and its medium hold delivers just the right amount of shaping.
Now that the truth is out, you can feel comfortable wearing sleek and pretty shapewear to rock out the holiday season, and your new 2016 wardrobe, in style!
When it comes to lingerie, I’ll never argue that style and seduction take precedence over comfort. Suffering simply isn’t chic. Feeling good in your skin... downright sexy.
Put simply, lace is as essential to the French woman’s lingerie wardrobe as perfume is to her beauty routine. But inside the American fitting room, women are saying “non merci” (no thank you) to lacy bras and undergarments.
Is this a cultural difference? Or is there something about lace French women know that we don’t?
When it comes to femininity, style and seduction, nothing captures a French woman’s attention like beautiful lace. A lace bra is the first layer of her look. It’s everyday chic.
So whether you wear all-over lacy numbers daily—or your bra wardrobe is reserved for lace-free T-shirt bras, there are a few things we can all learn about wearing la dentelle (lace).
Here are some of our French-approved tips for embracing your lace:
Add a touch of lace to your T-shirt bra. For smooth operators and T-shirt bra devotees, this is an excellent first step towards embracing your lace. A hint of lace on the straps, on the sides of the cups or the back of the bra gives that bit of lacy allure while staying seamless under clothing. Who knew T-shirt bras could be so chic?
Our Picks: The new Caresse 3D Plunge or Celeste Contour with ultra-smooth lace on the backs of the bras, or the best-selling Amour 3D Plunge with Leavers lace meticulously placed on the sides of the cups for supreme style.
Meet Lace Halfway. A little lace, a little cotton = the best of both worlds. The next step to embracing your lace comes in the form of full cup bras with the support and comfort of cotton lining embellished in luxurious lace (or embroidery). You’ll get all the comfort and support of soft cotton that shapes the bust—with touches of lace that feel as soft as a whisper against the skin. Yes, please!
Our Picks: You’ll feel confident the moment you put on the feminine and supportive Caresse Full Cup Divine comfort, supportive coverage and the perfect amount of lace to make you feel beautiful. Another stunner: the Oh-La-La-worthy Amour Full Cup bra with sheer Leavers lace and soft and supportive microfiber.
Embrace Your Lace. The secret to wearing an all-over lace bra is simple: wear it for yourself, unapologetically, in colors that make you feel beautiful and laces that feel divine against your skin. A woman should never feel intimidated or uncomfortable in her lingerie. Au contraire, lace is feminine, intimate and reflects your unique personal style, much like the scent of your perfume.
Our Picks: Look for ultra-soft lace, such as the Celeste Demi Plunge or Celeste Demi Full (up to G cup) with Chantilly lace which offers a curve-hugging fit. For a classic French demi, Delice never disappoints.
Fashion’s color palette has officially moved on from sun-kissed summer hues into richer, deeper fall and winter shades that evoke elegance and sensuality. And what could be more sumptuous and sophisticated than jewel tones? We all know that jewels are a woman’s best friend… so it’s no surprise that jewel tones in fashion have that same je ne sais quoi we can’t get enough of. Powerful and feminine, precious shades of emerald, sapphire, ruby and amethyst dazzle us with their sensual glow. And because I always keep my gems près de mon coeur (close to heart), jewel toned lingerie reigns supreme in my fall wardrobe. If radiance comes from within, it makes sense to begin with the first and most essential layer of our look. Slip into these captivating, bold-hued bra and panty sets and you’ll be as radiant as the gems in your jewelry box: Shine Like An Emerald. Nothing exudes ladylike chic quite like emerald green. This opulent shade is flattering on everyone and pairs beautifully with other jewel tones. Sparkle in Sapphire. Eyes will sparkle, hair will glisten and skin will glow in this sophisticated shade. Possibly the most wearable shade on the jewel color wheel, sapphire pops when paired with classic navy or black. Shine on! Ignite in Ruby. The eternal shade of power and seduction, ruby instantly takes your outfit to the next level. When the day—or night—calls for a little extra confidence, this is the shade to rock. You’ll look and feel irresistible. Opulent in Amethyst. This luxe shade exudes glamour with a touch of mystery. The royal color pairs beautifully with neutrals, other jewel tones, black or white. And because purple radiates decadence, Simone Perele added Swarovski crystals to adorn their opulent Delice demi and boyshort. Gems may be a woman’s best friend, but feeling gorgeous in your lingerie is absolutely priceless. SECRET BLOG OFFER: Receive $15 off your order on the Simone Perele eBoutique with code: GEM15 through Monday, October 26th (minimum purchase $60).
Dramatic tattoo embroidery. A sexy silhouette. A jaw-dropping deep V-back. The new curve-hugging Look Bodysuit exudes sheer mystery, style and seduction. Jaws will drop. Heads will turn. But can real women actually pull off this runway-worthy look? Though intimidating at first glance, this striking one-piece is not only wearable for us non-supermodels, it’s delightfully comfortable and completely versatile. How do we know? We asked Simone Perele Bra Fitters to tell us how they’ve been wearing it this fall. From blazers and high-waisted pants to LBD’s, this is one wardrobe piece that’s got staying power. How to Wear the Look Bodysuit: Tip: The Look Bodysuit can be worn solo, over a plunge bra, or for the complete effect—over the Look Push-Up (front closure with optional halter straps). Be A Sheer Style Maven: This bodysuit is too stunning not to reveal… if only just a hint in a certain light. Wear it under a black sheer or semi-sheer blouse to create an air of mystery. Elevate the Look of Your LBD (Little Black Dress): Your LBD has a new little secret. The curve-hugging bodysuit, paired with the Look Push-Up, makes a striking ensemble under your favorite black dress. Low back anyone? Show-stopping gorgeous. Set Your Style A-Blaze: Layer this wildly stylish bodysuit under a classic black blazer and it will give the entire outfit a cool, chic vibe. Pair it with a slim high-waisted pant or pencil skirt for a polished-but-sexy look. Go Graphic in Black and White: Wear the Look Bodysuit under a structured white button-down shirt tucked into high-waisted black paints or a black leather skirt for a graphic update on a timeless color combination. Subtle peek-a-boo embroidery makes for a chic update on your usual white button-down shirt.
There is something deliciously luxurious about a leisurely lunch, complete with good company and a delicious glass of wine, that begs to be experienced. It’s as if time stops and nothing exists beyond the joyful hum of conversation shared over a beautiful meal. These are the things that nourish the soul. Having spent my summers in either Provence or la Bretagne (Brittany) since I was born, this comes naturally to me. Though I must admit, my daily pace seems far more conducive to a grab-and-go lunch than a two-hour tête-à-tête. Whether you’re on vacation, enjoying a leisurely weekend, or in need of a longer pause from the work day, here’s my recipe to embracing lunch à la française:
- Stop the Clock. Try a little experiment: Toss your 15-minute lunch habit à la fenêtre (out the window) and stop the clock. For a couple of hours, disconnect from your to-do list (and your phone) and live in the moment, unrushed and unfussed. Unravel the experience in small steps, savoring course by course, sip by sip, and pausing in between to take it all in.
- Sip Wine with Lunch. Of course, we all know that wine heightens the flavors of a meal, but that doesn’t seem à propos when we’re grabbing a quick sandwich or salad. A glass of wine completes the stop-and-enjoy experience.
- Multiply Your Courses. There’s something beautiful about the way a meal naturally unravels when enjoyed over multiple courses. Stimulate your palate with small courses that satisfy each of your senses. Here’s an échantillon (sampling): a colorful tomato and basil salad drizzled with olive oil and sea salt, a delicious smelling caramelized tarte à l’oignon (onion tart), a few crisp leaves of salad accompanied by a selection of cheeses, and a cool scoop of sorbet framboise. Ahhh, je rêve (I’m dreaming)! All accompanied by the sound of a crispy baguette being broken.
- End with a Café. You’ve laughed, you’ve sipped, you’ve relished every bite… but there’s more. In France, the typical way to close the palate is with a small espresso. The ritual is a brilliant way to end the meal on the right note. You leave the table satisfied and the kitchen is closed; no snacking or hovering over your fridge until dinnertime. Fini!
Summer is all about loving life, reveling in sun-kissed days and carefree moments among friends. But somehow all that can come to a halt at the thought of stepping into a skin-baring bathing suit. So every year as summer approaches, I make a point to shift my perspective and step into the season with confidence. Here are my tried-and-true tips for owning your bathing suit body this season.
- Customize Your Suit for Your Curves. One size doesn’t fit all in bras and panties—and this rule applies to swimsuits as well. Take the time to find a swimsuit that flatters your unique shape with bra sizing and different top and bottom sizes. Consider the colors that are most becoming on your skin tone. Need a second opinion? Bring a trusted friend who can help guide you.
- Love the Skin You’re In. Glowing, sun-kissed skin has a way of forgiving our petites imperfections. Begin by exfoliating your whole body using an at-home scrub—or better yet, visit the spa for a luxurious exfoliating treatment. Then, use a gradual self-tanner for a lightly bronzed look. Finally, hydrate your skin with a creamy body moisturizer. Looking for an extra hydrating boost? Apply a body oil (such as coconut oil) all over while you’re in the shower. The steam will help the oil penetrate into your skin for a radiant ooh-la-la glow.
- Get Summer-Ready Feet. Before slipping into your swimsuit, take a few steps to pamper and polish your feet. Opt for a regular pedicure throughout the summer. In between visits, refresh your feet with a mini at-home pedicure and new polish—and if you’d like to see quick improvement (and sleep better), give your feet a mini massage just before bedtime.
- Be Posture Perfect. Perfecting your posture has an instant slimming effect on your silhouette; and it’s a natural confidence booster. That’s right—standing in a posture of confidence, whether you’re actually feeling your best with or not, has an effect on the brain that shapes the way you feel and affects how others see you. This age old trick, now backed by scientific research, is useful for everything from business interviews to beaches!
- Accessorize Your Look. Just because you’re in a bathing suit, doesn’t mean you have to stop there. There are 3 accessories that finish your look and exude that oh-so-french elegance and confidence: a chic wide-brimmed sunhat, effortless-cool sunglasses, and a fabulous beach bag.
Now put on your favorite swim suit, sunglasses, a swipe of lipstick, and own the beach!